Sunday 3 May 2015

Hong Kong Guide

I've been lucky enough to spend the last two weeks in Hong Kong (with huge thanks to my cousin who has put me up and let me stay) 

It was a bit of a shock to the system returning to a big city after all the time I've spent being a beach bum and island whore, but it's been amazing all the same and there is SO much to do. 

So here's a list of my favourite things I've done, a mini guide to Hong Kong if you like; 

First of all get yourself an Octupus Card (just like an Oyster card) which you can use on the MTR (underground) Trams (also known as Ding Dings) Busses and even some small shops like 7/11. 
The MTR is in my opinion one of the best in the world, it's really easy to get around, simple to use and everything is sign posted in English and Catonese. 


Catch the Star Ferry at night to see the shoreline lit up, it's very pretty! 

Take the Tram up to Victoria Peak, the tram itself is like a Rollercoaster ride - almost a vertical journey. If you go in the day take a walk on one of the hiking trails or go in the evening for dinner in the restaurants and shops up there and look down on Hong Kong as it's lit up and comes alive in the evening. 
Another must see attraction is the Big Buddha, the biggest outdoor Buddha in the world. Set way high up in the Mountains you need to take a Cable Cart up there. Pay extra for the Crystal Car which has a glass bottom to make the journey even more exhilarating. 


Head to Temple Street for the Night Market and Street food. The market is pretty much just bric-a-brac and designer copy bags but walk on a little further to the fortune tellers, it's very generic and quite hilarious. 
Pigeon from one the street food places - it was actually quite tasty - just like duck.

For a fun night out head to Happy Valley Race Courses for a few drinks and a bet on the horses. I got quite lucky here... And very drunk. 
My Top Tip - Bet on the name of colour shirt you like. Always seems to work for me! 

If you like to party you should also head to LFK / Soho area where all the bars are or Wan Chai where you get the grittier side - strip clubs etc. However my favourite has to be the Cocktail Bars. Across from the island, go to The Ritz Carlton and up to 118th floor where Ozone Bar is - one of the highest bars in the world apparently. Try the Blackberry Mojitos - very good! 

Aqua bar also has some pretty good views, and close to the waters edge it's a great place to watch the nightly laser show. The Sushi is delicious here too. 
Brunch is a big deal in Hong Kong, it's so much fun and worth every penny. I went to The Grill at The Grand Hyatt Hotel. A seafood (and much more) brunch (you can go up as many times as you like) and free flow champagne all day by the pool in the sun is my perfect day. 

So after all that eating and drinking you do start to feel a bit like the Big Buddah yourself, so take a hike on one of Hong Kongs many trails. I did the Dragons Back Trail, roughly about an hour and a half its classed as a medium to difficult trail, the terrain can be quite rocky in some parts but the views on a clear day are amazing and you end it on Big Wave Beach where you can goggle at the Surfers. 

A nice cold beer at the end always helps too!

If it's Beaches you want more of, it surprised me that Hong Kong actually has several nice beaches and islands if you want to escape city life. 
Stanley Island is cute to spend the day brosweing the markets and walking along the pier with lots of nice restaurants it has a very French Riveria feel to it. 

Lamma island is also lovely and the Seafood is really good too - in most places you can even choose the live fish you want and they will cook it for you. Out of all the beaches I visited Big Wave Beach is definitely my favourite. 

So that's my mini guide to Hong Kong, tomorrow I head to Beijing for some more Chinese Culture & Cuisine. 
Three months and Four Countries in, I really don't want to come home. 

No comments:

Post a Comment