Wednesday 11 November 2015

Adult Colouring Books

What's the hottest trend for this season? Boho Folk? OTK Boots? Turtle Necks? Nope... It's Adult Colouring Books! 

Earlier this Summer I was browsing in a shop whilst waiting for a friend when something caught my eye. Not wanting to anyone to know I made a note of it, and went back the next day to purchase the desired goods. 

I made my way home with the same excited feeling I get when I buy new a bag or shoes. 
That afternoon I spent the next five hours happily content, feeling very relaxed and taking great care of my new purchase - My Adult Colouring Book and a set of colouring pencils. 

I was actually a little embarrassed by what I was doing, but when a friend came round, she was so envious, I let her colour a page "As long as she stayed in the lines". Then I over heard a colleague at work saying she had one, so I shared my secret too. 

Now it seems to be the new must have accessory or hobby as I have seen more and more people with them! Such is their popularity, that if you check on Amazon now, I guarantee several will feature in their 'Top Ten' sellers list.
Not only does colouring take you back to your childhood, it is also very good relief for anxiety and a great way to de-stress. It's been proven to be such a good source of meditation that even my Yoga Teacher was handing out special Chakra colour sheets after sessions.

Yoga Colour Sheets.

"It is overwhelmingly well accepted among art therapists that repetitive activity using art materials which are chosen by the individual -- that is, which involve some levels of choice, can be soothing to people experiencing anxiety and stress. This is a fundamental and very basic premise of art therapy." Patricia Fenner, PhD, Senior Lecturer and Coordinator Master of Art Therapy. 

We are spending more and more time infront of screens, and on the internet. I often find it hard to switch off, and am terrible for spending the night scrolling through Instagram when I should be sleeping but when I colour I literally switch off from everything spending hours perfecting the colour of pretty intricate designs. It's my own little 'me time' when I can unwind and relax.
(Although I may go on SnapChat and share my work with my fellow colourists out there - who have also given me a tip that fine line felt tips are great to fill in with.)


My current go-to is the 'Can't Sleep Colouring Book' but there is definitely more I want to add to my list. Especially as I am travelling again early next year - what a better way to pass the time on long journeys.



This Vogue colouring book is not released until November - I've added it to my Christmas list! It will be £10 and published by Conran Octopus.
For any aspiring Mermaid's like myself out there! 

You can add this Enchanted Forest scenery colour book to your basket for £9.95 whilst selecting the rest of your autumn / winter wardrobe on ASOS.com 

You needn't spend a fortune either, The Works has colour books starting from £3.00. 

With Colour Me Calm, Can't Sleep, and mind healing books it certainly works out a lot cheaper than therapy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment