Saturday 29 December 2012

My Christmas Cooking Feats

There is nothing I love more than cooking for friends and family and enjoying lovely food and some good drink around the table with them, and that is what Christmas is all about right?

I thought I would share some of my Christmas Cooking Feats. 

Two days before the big day I cooked my first ever Roast Christmas dinner, with a lovely piece of gammon. 


Soaked for 24 hours to reduce the salt content, I then boiled for a few hours (20-30 minutes per KG) with a carrot, onion and a bay leaf for seasoning.


Once boiled, take out and rest, remove the layer of skin, making sure you keep the fat on. Scour the fat with a sharp knife into diamond shapes, cover in honey and stick in some cloves and pepper corns.
Roast for 20-30 minutes, leave to rest then carve.  


Noting beats having your best friends round the table enjoying Christmas Dinner together <3

Desserts 

Melt some milk and white chocolate separately , pour in to a tin to create a marble affect. Sprinkle with some festive fruit and nuts and leave in the fridge to set. 

I also made my very own Gingerbread house, although I'd recommend only start doing this if you have lots of time. 


Drinks
For something different to Mulled Wine try this, Southern Comfort & Warm cider with Apple, Cinnamon Sticks and Juniper Berries. 
Heat the Cider and Southern Comfort in the microwave with a chopped apple and juniper berries and serve in a tumbler with cinnamon sticks. 

Prosecco served with Hibiscus Flowers, which gives it a lovely pink colouring and just makes it look pretty. 

Christmas Morning
Because it wouldn't be Christmas Morning without Scrambled Eggs, Smoked Salmon and Champagne...

Leftovers
After Boxing Day leftovers become boring just as they are, so I made a Caribbean Curry with the leftover Turkey served with Rice 'n' Peas... Make as Spicy or as mild as you want. Makes the perfect supper to sweat out a Winter Flu. 

With lots of time off now, I look forward to sharing more cooking feats. 

Now to tuck into that box of Malteser's that no one else has opened yet. 
x


No comments:

Post a Comment